Posts tagged [Ransomware]
WARNING - RANSOMWARE VIRUS
Do not open ay suspicious emails that say
"attached is your remittance" or "proof of payment" or "invoice that is due"
An increasing number of our clients have been hit by Malware known as ransomware. This ransomware disguises itself as a normal attachment, when opened the malware encrypts files on your local disk drive or network drives mapped over the network. Once encrypted the malware will either display a message on the screen or create a text file demanding that you pay a ransom for the key to decrypt your data.
We don’t suggest paying the ransom as there is no way to guarantee the recovery of your files.
How do I know that I have been infected
If you are using Pastel or Payroll and all of a sudden menu items are greyed out and you keep on getting Run Time Error 53 go to your Windows Explorer, C: , Pastel or Pastel Payroll, Any Company and look for generated files that look similar to the following:
- Cryptowall 4.0: HELP_YOUR_FILES.TXT, HELP_YOUR_FILES.HTML, and HELP_YOUR_FILES.PNG
- Cryptowall 3.0: HELP_DECRYPT.TXT, HELP_DECRYPT.HTML, HELP_DECRYPT.PNG, HELP_DECRYPT.URL
- LeChiffre: _help to decode Lechiffre for [Device Name].htm, _secret_code [DeviceName].txt, FileName.LeChiffre
If you see any of these files your data has definitely been encrypted by a ransomware virus.
What To Do If you suspect infection
- Shut Down All computers
- Disconnect all computers from the network (unplug the cables)
- Call the BEST IT guy you know
Restore from backup. In this case prevention is better than a cure.
Make regular backups of important data and don’t just store it on the local PC or any any external hard drive that is permanently connected to the pc. We suggest using cloud backups like IronTree.
Make sure your antivirus is up to date.